Skip to Content Top

What to Do if Your Ex is Falling Behind On Alimony Payments in Massachusetts?


Court-ordered alimony payments in Massachusetts are a legal obligation, which the paying ex-spouse must abide by unless they obtain an alimony modification order from the court. But if your ex has been repeatedly failing to make the alimony payments awarded to you, it’s critical to engage the services of a dedicated Massachusetts alimony attorney who can strongly represent your case before the court.

Divorce and alimony attorney Jay Davis of Davis Law Group in Massachusetts has the knowledge and experience to advocate effectively on your behalf in this situation. Jay and his legal team will help you prepare hard evidence of partial, delayed, or non-payments of alimony and present it before the court. Attorney Jay Davis will also present convincing arguments to show before the court how the actions of your ex are creating significant financial difficulties for you.

If you ignore, wait, or fail to act against the non-payment of court-ordered alimony, it may only embolden your ex-spouse further to continue with that behavior. Therefore, make a call to Davis Law Group at (617) 752-6216 or contact us online to set up your free consultation with us. Jay Davis and his team will immediately swing into action to protect your alimony rights in this situation.

How Does the Court Enforce Alimony in MA in Case of Non-Payment?

Once you have a dependable and successful alimony lawyer such as Jay Davis on your side, you can file a motion with the family court asking the judge to issue a court order to enforce your rightful alimony payments. If your ex continues to fall behind on payments or refuses to pay alimony despite the court’s intervention, the judge will consider various measures available to them to enforce payments. These may include:

Wage Garnishment

This is a court order directing the employer of your ex-spouse to deduct a certain amount every month from their paycheck and send that money directly to your account. A wage garnishment order can work if your ex is gainfully employed, and you will be able to receive guaranteed alimony payments.

Writ of Execution

Based on a writ of execution, the court can order seizure of some part of the property that your ex may own, and use it to make the alimony payments you are owed. In many cases, some property of your ex may also be placed under lien. This means, whenever your ex-spouse sells the property, you will get paid from sale proceeds to the extent of the amount you are owed in alimony payments.

Interception of Tax Refund

If your ex-spouse is supposed to receive state or federal tax refunds or lottery winnings, a court order can be issued to intercept such payments and apply them towards the payment of your alimony dues.

Suspension of Driver’s License

Based on a court order, the state can suspend the driver’s license of your ex-spouse as well as refuse the issuance of any other state licenses, such as professional practice, boating, or fishing.

Jail Time and/or Fine

If your ex demonstrates continued willful disregard of the alimony order despite your representations before the court, the court in Massachusetts may charge them with contempt of court. As a measure of enforcement, the court may order imprisonment of your ex-spouse and/or impose a fine until they clear your payments.

Leading alimony attorney in Massachusetts Jay Davis will prepare a robust legal strategy in consultation with you to help enforce your alimony payments from your ex. The entire team at Davis Law Group is committed to guiding and supporting you every step of the way. To schedule your complimentary consultation, call us at (617) 752-6216 or write to us online.

What Happens to Alimony if Your Ex-Spouse Files for Bankruptcy?

Under Massachusetts law, payments such as child support and alimony do not get discharged in bankruptcy. This means that even if your ex goes bankrupt, they will continue to owe the court-ordered alimony payments. The bankruptcy may discharge some types of debts of your ex, but the obligation to pay alimony will still remain in force.

Remember that all this works in your favor only when the alimony arrangement has been set forth in an order from the court in Massachusetts. With the seasoned divorce attorney Jay Davis on your side, you will be able to ensure that any agreement between you and your ex regarding alimony is legally binding and enforceable in a court of law.

Legal Help is Here from the Top-Rated Massachusetts Alimony Attorney Jay Davis

Are you facing financial struggle because your ex has been behind on court-ordered alimony payments or is refusing to pay it altogether? You should avoid trying to deal with this situation all alone, and reach out to the compassionate and client-focused alimony lawyer Jay Davis of Davis Law Group.

Jay will explain to you your best legal options and move quickly to enforce the alimony payments through the family court in MA. To know more about how we can help you with your divorce, spousal support, or other divorce-related matters, call us at (617) 752-6216 or drop us a message here.

The post What to Do if Your Ex is Falling Behind On Alimony Payments in Massachusetts? first appeared on Davis Law Group.
Share To: